Sunday, July 12, 2009

Girlie Camp

I had a BLAST at girl's camp this year...after all the hard work and preparation, it came and went. My mom came up Monday to stay with the kids. THANK YOU MOMMMMM!!! Tuesday morning we packed up and got on our way to Scout Mountain. When we got there, I was a bit sad to see the camp spot that I had reserved...I think EVERYONE was sad to see it. There was not enough space at all for five tents. If yo take a crowd...DO NOT GET #18. So, after camp was all set up and dinner was being prepared, we as leaders decided to make an executive decision and move camp sites. This was not something the girls were excited to do, bue they did it and we were all very glad we did. So, about 8 we made dinner and had smores after that. I gave devotional that night on being all that you can be using Pres. Hinckley's Way to Be book. It turned out nicely. Oh, I would like to thank my Aunt Dee for bringing us wood. I must say that is the only thing I forgot...so I think I did okay. Besides, who would have thought you had to take wood to a forrest!!!!
Wednesday we certified, completed 32 hygeine kits for the distribution center, worked on skits and our scrapbooks. I wasn't sure how the books would be taken, but they all embraced the idea and made some super cute pages. We had a lot of free time and the girls like that, too. Bishop john gave the devotional on choosing to have a testimony. It was great. He related a story of two girls who lived in the same neighborhood, who were the same age, who attended the same meetings and had parents who were active members. One grew up and got married in the temple. She is very active and has a strong love for hte Lord. The other one has no direction in her life and has strayed off the straight and narrow path. What was the difference? One chose to have a testimony and to let Heavenly Father be a part of her life...the other one did not. I really loved that devotional.
Thursday was hike day. Bishop John made Mickey Mouse pancakes for all of us. We got ready to hike with our Priesthood leaders Brother Chugg and Brother Havens. Kathy Schell came,too. The requirement was 5 miles, but Bro Chugg felt he needed to take us on a 16 mile hike. The girls were great sports and only murmured a little. It wasn't that bed...HAHAHA! Abby sprained her ankle, but made it down the mountain. We all cleaned up and got ready for testimony night. Kathy gave the devotional on having the right tools for a testimony. It was great! The testimonies born that night were incredible. Every girl bore her testimony...some of thankfulness and some of trials, some of family and some of the gospel. Before they bore their testimony, they turned on a little tealight candle thing and we got to see the light shine on their faces. It was so beautiful to see this group of 10 girls form together and unite. It was an amazing experience and I will not ever forget it. I have grown to love each of those girls individually. I learned so much from each one.
Friday we ate omlets and took down camp. On the way home we stopped at Tastee Treet and had icecream. I picked up a scotch and soda and space burger for Mom. We were excited to get home, and I am still unloading things...the coolers are done, but the rest will have to wait. I forgot to mention our cam friends...two little skunks. They were cute, and suprisingly enough not stinky. Too bad I didn't get a picture of fear they would spray. Speaking of pictures...here you go!





The Jelly Fish song













Our compass orientation








The Skit: Modern Day Good Samaritan








Scrappin'






Eating Kelsey's stir fry











Marshmallows around the fire










One of the views from the hike








Us on the hike














Campfire our last night




I got choked up...the girls awarded me the Real Numero Uno award. I had no idea what I was getting into when I was called, but the Lord provided and I was able to get it all done. Thanks you to all of those who helped!!! There is no way I could have done this without you! Troy: Thanks for taking the kids all those nights! Thanks for driving us up and back! Mom: Thanks for taking my kids! It is a lot and I really appreciate it! Dad: Thanks for letting me have mom! All the past and present YW leaders who have helped! I love you all!!!!!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Sounds like you all had fun. It was my youngest first year at girls camp this year. We do ours as a stake so there are a lot more girls. I am so grateful for great leaders that make it fun for the girls. It is such a great calling to work with them. Lucky you.

Kayla said...

Way to go Jandy! All that hard work payed off - It really looks like a lot of fun. Reminds me of my girl's camp days .. .