Friday, April 27, 2012

Music and my spoken thoughts


As I was rocking Kaebryn in the squeaky chair for her nap, I listened to Pandora radio on the internet.  I rocked to Poison, Guns N Roses, Queen, and Bon Jovi.  Then a Johnny Cash song came on.  These are the lyrics.......

"You can run on for a long time
Run on for a long time
Run on for a long time
Sooner or later God'll cut you down
Sooner or later God'll cut you down

Go tell that long tongue liar
Go and tell that midnight rider
Tell the rambler, the gambler, the back biter
Tell 'em that God's gonna cut 'em down
Tell 'em that God's gonna cut 'em down

Well my goodness gracious let me tell you the news
My head's been wet with the midnight dew
I've been down on bended knee talkin' to the man from Galilee
He spoke to me in the voice so sweet
I thought I heard the shuffle of the angel's feet
He called my name and my heart stood still
When he said, "John go do My will!"

Go tell that long tongue liar
Go and tell that midnight rider
Tell the rambler, the gambler, the back biter
Tell 'em that God's gonna cut 'em down
Tell 'em that God's gonna cut 'em down

You can run on for a long time
Run on for a long time
Run on for a long time
Sooner or later God'll cut you down
Sooner or later God'll cut you down

Well you may throw your rock and hide your hand
Workin' in the dark against your fellow man
But as sure as God made black and white
What's done in the dark will be brought to the light

You can run on for a long time
Run on for a long time
Run on for a long time
Sooner or later God'll cut you down
Sooner or later God'll cut you down

Go tell that long tongue liar
Go and tell that midnight rider
Tell the rambler, the gambler, the back biter
Tell 'em that God's gonna cut you down
Tell 'em that God's gonna cut you down
Tell 'em that God's gonna cut you down"

I have been contemplating the world lately, and contemplating my own life changes.  I have been searching my past lessons and the ones I am currently learning now.  I have tried to be non-judgmental to those around me.  I have tried to teach my children right from wrong.  I have tried real hard to be a good example to those around me, and I have tried not to gossip.  

Ahh, gossip.  The words we say about those we know but often harming the ones we love.  It is hard sometimes to keep a still tongue.  If I have something I am dying to tell Troy, I usually start and then he says something like this, "Is this information going to change the way I feel about the person or is it relevant to me?"  That is a great way to look at what we say about others...is it relevant?  Is it going to hurt those around me?  I get caught up in others lives, and stories...it is hard sometimes not to share what we think the story is with others.

This world is falling apart.  What a mess we live in.  We have done this to ourselves.  Do we not remember 9-11?  Do we not remember the hurricanes and tornadoes ripping apart homes and families?  Why do we think we are unstoppable?  What do we need to do to get this world to hold strong?  The daughters of Zion are falling into temptation and families are suffering.

Troy told me today that Sisters in the Latter-Day Saint religion have the highest numbers of depression, and a very high number of Meth users.  This is a sad and scary statistic.  Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are supposed to be happy.  We are supposed to have it together and often we make sacrifices that effect us.  He asked me what I thought about the statistic.  This was my reply in a nutshell:
"As LDS members, we have callings that are often very time consuming and take us away from our homes on a regular basis.  We are expected...not from Church leaders, but those in our congregations...to have everything just so.  We have to raise children in troubled times, we have to have our homes together, we have to be the ones running the show, all the time.  Our husbands are usually working or going to school, for life it seems, and are often not around.  We have a higher number of children than those not in our religion and that makes a difference.  We often have our children close together, making it hard to manage things.  We are taught to cook, at home, balanced, nutritious meals.  We are expected by the world to have bodies that fit in the world.  If I were a pop-star, I would be  in all the tabloids with pictures declaring I have not lost all of the baby weight.  It is stressful trying to keep everything together all the time.  And why do we have to keep it together so much?  Because we do gossip and we do judge.  We harm those Sisters by doing so.  We are constantly judging.  Not only those around us, but we judge ourselves, too."  

This is not what our gospel teaches!  Our gospel is one of Jesus Christ.  It is His church.  Then why?  Why are we so quick to judge?  Why do we put so much pressure on ourselves to be perfect and make those around us suffer from our insecurities and our wrong-doings.  Why are we so quick to judge, but are offended and hurt when it happens to us?  

I like the words to this song.  I love the message it holds.  I believe God is trying everyday to get us to pull together.  Bad things are happening all over the earth and it is falling apart.  God is trying to "cut us down" and call us to repent and be true members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  He wants us to be happy, and we can.  But it starts with us.  It starts with holding our tongues the next time we have something juicy to say, or the next time someone comes to church in a dress that isn't what we think is up-to-par, we need to not judge.  People all around us are suffering from things we don't know about.  Sadness fills hearts of those struggling and not everyone is open to share what may be happening in their lives.  

I am so glad this song came on today.  I am so glad that the thoughts and feelings I had are to make me a better person.  I am grateful for this gospel of happiness.  I am thankful, though overwhelmed sometimes, for the callings in my life.  Although I complain a lot about Troy being in school all time, I am grateful he is bettering our family life.  The nights my children are sick or the days they drive me crazy, I thank Heavenly Father for the hugs and kisses I get throughout the day.  We are supposed to be a happy people.  We have much to be grateful for.  We need to pull together and make this a better place for our children and their children to grow old in.

2 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

I've been thinking about this post all week, Jandy. I just kept checking my blog roll from my phone - so I hadn't commented yet. :)

Thanks for you insightful words. You are so wonderful. I love you.

You know, I think it's for each of us to decide daily if we are going to follow Jesus Christ - whether we are members of the Church or not. The gospel of jesus Christ and the teachings of the Church, bring happiness. It is Satan that distracts us from what is most important. The Church doesn't bring stress into people's lives. People do. It's Satan whispering in our ears that we're not good enough, or "look at her", or "you'll never make it." I get so tired of hearing people say things like "being a member of the Church is so stressful." It's not. The gospel of Jesus Christ brings peace and joy. The Church is there to help us.

I think your comment, "And why do we have to keep it together so much?" Is spot on. We don't. :) And what does "keep it together" mean, anyway??? I think the closer we come to Jesus Christ, to the true source, the less we worry about "keeping it together" and the more we let go. I think we have to constantly re-evaluate what the most important things are. We ask the Lord to help us accomplish the things that HE would have us do, and then it's a lot easier to feel pleased with the efforts that we make everyday. - because we may not have "done it all", but we did what we should ---- whether as a mom, a wife, a visiting teacher, or Primary president.

Thanks for "pulling together" with me, Jandy. We each do our own little part in this nasty old world and together, we make it a better and prettier place. I love you, friend. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Rachel Chick said...

Also, please disregard any typos. :) I, apparently, don't proof-read until after I hit Publish. :)