Sunday, July 25, 2010

Camp

I am back, thank goodness! I did not take any pictures of camp so I will have to get some from Rachel. Girls camp was horrible. I should stop right there, but I am not going to. Every year I went to camp, I loved it. I absolutely loved it. Last year was great. We had a blast. This year, we had attitude, lying, stealing and empty threats. We had five great girls, two that struggled, and three that should have been sent home. If it were up to me, they would have gone home day 1. Unfortunately, they stayed and there was a HUGE lack of spirit in our camp. For those of you that know me well, you know that I do not have a problem baring my testimony. You know that there is very few times that I lack things to say. The last night up at camp we have testimony night. The girls were told that they would bare their testimonies, even if it was a testimony of being thankful for family and friends. I was the last. I stood up and said, "They say that the best is saved for last. Unfortunately this is not the case. We could have ended with any of the testimonies that have been born, because to be honest, I have no idea what to say to you girls right now. " I bore a very short, cold testimony. I told them that I knew that attitude has everything to do with the way camp turned out. I apologized to the girls that I had a horrible attitude about the way things had turned out. I know that some of you are thinking that it "couldn't have been that bad." It was. It was that bad. We had inappropriate conversations. I heard things that I would have died saying at 14. The girls that were there to feel the spirit broke down and almost went home. They were miserable! I am so sorry for the way that things turned out. I felt such persecution today at church when some of the moms glared, stared and, as Troy called it, gave me the stink eye. I have yet to break down and cry. I have tried my hardest to hold it all together. I have to meet with the Bishop at 3 this after noon and I am afraid I will break. I have struggled with my self since Tuesday. I have been absolutely miserable. Even at church today there were talks given that normally would have had me sobbing. I did not feel a thing. I feel empty inside. To top it all off, I subbed in Primary today because after asking 5 people to cover and being rejected, there was no one left to ask. Troy and I had only four in there, but it felt like the whole classroom was full. It was a monstrous mess. Thank goodness for beautiful weather and gummy butterflies! This is my last year as camp director and I knew that going into it. I have been to camp three times in the last four years. I am okay that my time as camp director is over for the time being. I am not okay with the way things were ended and I am not okay with the challenges the next camp director has to face. This was a learning experience for all of those who were willing to learn. I hope that the girls do not just remember the bad, but I hope they remember the little bit of good. We had a great hike. We hiked up to Saddlepack lake. It was beautiful and the swing was great. We had one night of singing and fun. The marshmallows were huge and fun to roast. There were some great devotionals given. The slide and teeter totters were super fun and the weather, all but one day, was great. The food was delicious and the couple of close times we had will be cherished. If they can take that into their hearts, camp will have been worth the countless hours spent on it. If they learned nothing, it was all in vain and I am sorry for those girls. It hurts my heart that these beautiful young daughters of our Heavenly Father do not realize their potential. They have no idea who or what they can become. That is truly sad.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a stressful time.
Glad that there were a few "good" times!

Rachel Chick said...

Oh, Jandy. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry that camp was so hard and I'm sorry that today was such a rough day. I think you're amazing and I know that you put a lot of time and energy into what you were doing. I hope that you have a wonderful time at your parents' house this week and I'm excited to see you when you get back!

Susie said...

I'm so sorry too. Camp should not be like that. Especially since I can imagine the prep you put into it. In our ward they did a mock mission for the youth and we had 3 girls come here and their leader. At some point they asked me a question and I just really felt prompted to redirect it into how important marriage and preparing to be a mother was. The leader and I are good friends. As they were all leaving the leader teared a little and told me thank you for what I had said. She said I didn't know how much these girls needed to hear it. She said that marriage, Motherhood and other such things are not a priority for the girls. It is so sad. I think that too often this is happening with our youth-especially the women. I hope you can come to peace and not feel empty. You ARE such an amazing person and if you need a breather on the way to your parents let me know- I'd love to see ya. Sorry for writing you a book comment! :0)

Anonymous said...

Jandy,

I completely understand where you at right now. I was just released as the YW secretary and I spent 3 years in with these girls. Unfortunately we are living in a day where this is the norm. I have spent many activity nights so discouraged because of the entitled attitudes of my YW. Remember you were there because you were supposed to be! You did what the Lord would have you do. I admire you for your honesty in your testimony. Maybe that is what they needed to hear. You will probably never know. Just keep being the person you are and doing His will! You are a strong daughter of God and you are LOVED!!!

Candace