Monday, May 2, 2011

Sweet testimony

A few months ago Daeson asked me if he could bare his testimony in Sacrament Meeting. I told him he could, but he would have to do it with no help from me. I explained to him that I can set the example of testimony baring, but I cannot tell him what his testimony is. I have too many friends who lived off other's testimonies and have now strayed from the church and they have never developed a testimony of their own. I want my children to develop their own testimony. I will not force them to have a testimony.

Yesterday in church it was testimony meeting. Daeson was coloring and I had no idea he was really listening. About fifteen minutes before the close of the meeting, he said, "Mom, I want to go bare my testimony." I told him that was fine and that he could go up. He started walking to the front (we were on the last row of the chapel) and about row number four he turned around, red faced, and ran back to our row. He buried his face behind me and told me he was scared. I told him that was fine and he doesn't have to bare his testimony. He can wait until he was ready. A few minutes later he saw some more primary children go to the front and bare their testimonies. He asked me if I thought his primary teachers would be proud of him. I told him we would all be proud of him but if he didn't want to do it he didn't have to. So he squared his shoulders and headed to the front. He pulled the microphone close to his mouth and said, "I would like to bare my testimony that I know this church is true. I know my Savior lives. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." He walked back so proudly and said , "Can I do it again in June, Mom? That was really fun."

It made me so happy to hear him bare his testimony. I had no intention of baring mine, but after that I felt inspired to share my beliefs. I am grateful for his example. My five year old sets such an amazing example for me. My three year old surprisingly sets an amazing example for me. I am proud of my two boys. I am proud that they are such strong little boys. I am truly blessed and so proud.

2 comments:

Susie said...

OH!! What a 'big' guy in so many ways!! Nothing tops hearing your kid bare testimony of something so important!!

Unknown said...

Your boys are amazing because YOU are their Mother! :)