Friday, September 26, 2008

High School Reunions

This is the tenth year I have been out of High School...Good ol' Malad High. In fact, high school is the only time I lived in Malad...I moved right after graduation and I didn't go back...except for the time I moved home waiting for winter semester to start at Rick's College. Now my parents have moved, my brothers no longer live there and the only ties I have are a handful of friends that remain there. My dilema? Do I really want to go? I know there are some people I really want to see. There are, honestly, some people I couldn't care less to see. And I am sure there are those who couldn't care less to see me. That is how itall works. There were 86 in my graduating class...I maybe have heard from five of them. Janet, my friend from High School lives in Twin...but even when we lived three blocks away we only saw each other a couple of times. I am sad about that. I think that is the bottom line...people change. I have changed. Not that I am better than anyone else, I am far from that, but it is well known that the only thing that is constant is infact change. I can assume that there are those members of my class who have changed as well. But I am sure there are those who have not. Those who have remained the same. I was speaking to Janet on the phone the other day when we found out about this reunion. We speculated over what it might be like. Do we take our kids? Are they invited? What will people think when they see that I personally have gained a TON of weight? Do we even care what others think? I think inside we would like to think we don't care, but I know that we do. So, I am torn...do I stay or do I go? If I go, I am going to visit a very special friend, Heather, while I am there. And, I am going to see if our very favorite photographer can take my boys' pictures. But, then I have another problem...there is not a hotel in Malad and I have no family to stay with. So, that means that I make the two hour drive there, and the two hour drive back in one day...meaning four hours in the car with my boys. If it wasn't confrence weekend, I would stay the night somewhere and visit the ol' ward. But, I am sure that has changed as well. TORN!!! I have three days to RSVP. I know Troy can't go...or I guess he could, but he doesn't want to. So, I will be solo with my kids. Humph. I would like some feed back on reunions. Those who have gone, could you maybe give me some insight. Those who didn't go, could you let me know if you regret not going? Thanks, I am stumped here and I would like to know what to do.

5 comments:

Megan B ♥ said...

I didn't go to mine, since it was in NY and in the end I heard that it was cancelled anyway, due to lack of interest. The few remaining people in the town that were were interested in getting together met at a local bar after a small potluck BBQ. I was a little sad about it when I thought all my old friends were flying in from all over, but then I got over it quickly, for a lot of the reasons you already described. I don't even know these people anymore. I'm pretty internet savvy when I want to be, so when I want to reconnect, we do so over the internet, through facebook, blogs, email, etc. Then I don't get those old high school feelings of anxiety and lack of acceptance from the other 90% of the people in the room! I'm an adult now and I'd LIKE to think that I'm beyond all that nonsense, but... Then again, like I said, our reunion was in NY, which made it really difficult. I probably would have sucked it up made a brief appearance if it was within decent driving distance. Whether Justin would have come with me is a mystery. I would have had to hog-tie him and throw him in the trunk to get him there, I'm sure, and even then he probably would have found a way out of it!

Anonymous said...

I think you should go... You might just be suprised at how many people are happy to see you and wish they would have kept in touch and you might be suprised to see how much people have changed for the better. If you don't go you might always wonder what it would have been like. Take a chance...

Janet said...

I will get you called, but I just wanted to say that I know what you are going through. It is a little different though, because I grew up there and still have family there. Pleas come!!! I decided that I would feel really sad for 10 more years if I didn't go. If we hate if- you and me can take off and talk somewhere else!

Mandi Ward said...

Jandy,
Hey it's one of those from Malad. I would really like to see you and think that you should come. I debated myself if I was even going to go and I live here. If you are going to come you are more than welcome to crash at my place. Think about it. Hope you come.
Mandi

Mandi Ward said...

Hey Jandy,
Glad to hear your coming. I hope I am not one of the ones you don't want to see :) A dessert would be great. I do know of a few that are bringing their kids and I am sure there will be more than we think. I'm not sure what I am doing with my kids. See ya Saturday.
Mandi