Thursday, February 2, 2012

My life is a gift

I just watched a show on Netflix about a handyman who died and those he helped reflected on the ways he helped them. By the end of the show, I was a teary mess. Death has been on my mind, a lot.My Great-Uncle Darold Chambers passed away and was laid to rest last Friday. He was a wonderful man. I enjoyed hearing the many stories about him. His life was so full of meaning and greatness. He was honest, caring, faithful, gentle and had many other wonderful qualities. Listening to the words spoken at the funeral made me want to be a better person!

There is a sister in our ward whom my children call Gramma Craig. She served in the nursery at church and the children loved her, especially Tevan. On holidays she would decorate and make fun treats and crafts. On birthdays, she sent sweet messages in the mail. For Christmas, she made sure no child was left behind and visited each of her kids. When my sister-in-law and I had a combined shower, she made a special hooded towel for her even though Judy had never met Kayla before. In August she fell ill and discovered she had a brain tumor. She underwent treatments and tried to fight it. When the boys and I went to see her, she had no hair left. She just held my kids and loved them. They wondered where her hair went and she proceeded to tell them that she was sick but was going to get better. She wore cute hats to cover her baldness and she had the best attitude. She came to our Relief Society meetings with the strongest spirit. Every time we said prayer, we prayed for Gramma Craig. We wished her better. She passed away Saturday. There are several mourning the death of this sweet sister. Heavenly Father allowed her to fight hard enough so she could spend one last Thanksgiving and one last Christmas with her family. Each of her children were there when she returned to our Heavenly Father. Sister Judy Craig will lay to rest this Saturday after a life filled with love, laughter, service, spirituality, honesty, charity, and friendship. Sister Craig, we love you so very much. What a blessing you have been in my life!

My Uncle Ron's family and friends are mourning the death of his mother. She passed away yesterday. She was very ill. Lucille was a sweet woman. She cared about her family very much. She would come to family events and she would remember my name and ask how I was. She listened to stories I would tell her and engage in conversation. I admired her a lot. She will be very missed, but she will find so much happiness in the reunion in Heaven.

We know that one day we must part from this mortal life. We know there is great work to be done after this life. I look back on my life, my accomplishments, my attitude, my service to others, my children and my husband, the things I do daily, the things I could do better, I pray that one day I will touch someone's life. There are so many people who have made my life greater. So many who have set amazing examples. So many wonderful friends, some who used to be friends and some who will be friends. There are seasons for everything. The Lord knows who to send to us in times of need.

There is life after death. There is a way back to our Heavenly Father. We are not selfish for telling ourselves this. He sent his son to die for us, to give us the gift of eternal life. I am grateful for the knowledge I have. I am grateful to know that we will return to these wonderful people who have set examples for us. What a reunion it will be when we part from this mortal life. God is great. He cares for us and loves us more than we can comprehend. Thanks to everyone who has set an example for me to be a better person.

2 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

I loved your sweet post, Jandy. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your feelings. I hope you know that you have made such a difference in my life. Thank you for bringing me into your friendship and teaching me so much. Thank you for your service. I love you so much.

Anonymous said...

I love you Jandy! You are an amazing person, mother and friend! I love how you have an eternal perspective and can see things in the long term. I am blessed to have you in my life! LOVE YOU TONS
Candace