Monday, February 27, 2012

Dislocated knee

I have always been the most graceful person in the world, and probably always will be...but if you know me, this does not sound at all like the truth. The truth is, I am not graceful at all. I have broken my arm, my leg, my thumb, cracked my chin open, had many sprained ankles, cut hands, fingers and feet, and have even had a metal spear rammed at my head leaving a huge gash that needed a visit to the ER. I thought I was in the clear...I hadn't needed stitches since Tevan was a year old.

However, Friday,February 3, 2012 I was texting my brother, Justin, climbing into bed and my knee cap slid right off. I screamed for Troy (twice), he was in the living room watching Netflix and obviously didn't hear the alarm in my voice. It was 11:30pm, only 10:30 pm my parent's time so we called my dad. Luckily my knee cap returned to it's normal position and I didn't have to get it set. My fabulous friend, Kara, is a nurse for an orthopedic doctor and came down to assess the situation. I went into shock, but settled down and came to reason. I decided to not go to the ER. I took four Ibuprofen and got some sleep. If you know me at all, you know that I am anti-medicine for the most part. For me to take 4 IB, I was in a lot of pain! The next morning Troy got me crutches so I could get around. He had a huge computer job to do in Rexburg and had to go. He took the kids to his Mom and Dad's house for the day. Thank you soooo much for watching them, Richard and Peggy!!

Monday, the 6th, after a LOOONG weekend on crutches, I went to the Doctor. He told me that I indeed dislocated it and needed a brace and physical therapy. Within the next couple days I ditched the cruthces and just used the brace. The following Monday, the 13th, I started physical therapy and that is where we are. I have been two full weeks and today is the start of the third week. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I go for an hour of therapy. Sheesh, all because I cannot get into bed! I am relived to know my insurance covered the xray and the visit, but the stinking brace is 500 bucks. I cannot believe how much it was. But, I am glad it keeps everything in place. Next time I get a brace, I am going to check around first. I am not sure what the physical therapy is running, I hope it isn't too bad!

I can finally bend it to 60 degrees without it hurting too bad. I wear an ace bandage at night because the brace is so bulky. This morning I am trying to let my leg get some air. It gets so tired of being bandaged up and wrapped tight. I just have to be careful what I do!

1 comment:

Susie said...

Oh man~~hugs and luvs!! So glad you are getting the help ya need!! Take care of you Jandy Lou!!