Friday, September 3, 2010

Slippin' and a slidin'




Today I set up the slip and slide {gasp}, I know. Here is the story: I broke my leg on the first day of sixth grade on a make shift tarp slip and slide. I will never forget that day...no one believed me that it was broken. We lived in Denver and my mom was scared to drive because we had just moved there. Justin, my older brother, thought he could tell mom how to get to the hospital. My dad was doing a rotation in Commerce City and was not available for chauffeur duties. I tried to tell my mom that we were headed down the wrong road, but Justin insisted that it was the right way. To make a long story short, my mom ended up backing up the on ramp to a very busy highway. It was so scary for her to have to do that. I am sure lugging four kids...one in a lot of pain...to the hospital was not fun. At all. But, after the two hour wait in the emergency room and the x-ray, we found that indeed it was broken. A spiral break in my right leg was the diagnosis. I missed the next few days of school and had to hobble along the other six weeks. I hated it. The only good thing about it was after the six weeks of having my leg in a cast while it was very hot, I got to start shaving my legs. The hair had grown so long and there was a ton of dead skin. Gross, huh?

So, for me to let my kids play on the slip and slide they go from Uncle Todd and Aunt Danielle was a huge feat. I am proud of my kids for not breaking any bones, and I am super glad they had a BLAST! They have played on it before with Troy, but this was my first time allowing them to do so. They loved it and kept saying how awesome I was for letting them! Extra points are always a good thing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Slip-n-slides are SO fun!