Thursday, April 24, 2008
Tiny fingers, big burns
I feel just awful about tonight's events. I was dishing up my children's potato soup and holding Tevan at the same time. The soup was very hot, just seconds before it was boiling. As I dished up a bowl for Tevan, he grabbed it and stuck his tiny hand right in the center...the hottest part. The worst part about it was that I saw it all happen and could do nothing for him. I rushed him to the sink and ran it under cold water. I am so grateful my neighbor, Barbara, was there. She helped me to calm down and take care of the problem. She had some burn ointment that her husband, Jon, brought down. It took forever to get him settled (an hour and half)...I gave him Tylenol and tried to keep it in cold water. He screamed and screamed and I felt so, so terrible. Barbara went down to her house and I called my mom to see what she thought. Run it under cold water...easily said, but not done. After an hour of screaming, I took him down to Barb and Jon's and Jon gave him a blessing. It was so nice to be able to go next door. Shortly after, Tevan calmed down and started acting like himself. Barbara gave him a popsicle...two reasons: he needed something cold on his hand and he hadn't eaten anything since his 2:30 snack. She was so smart to come up with that...I was still in panic-stressed mode. I am so grateful for her and Jon tonight. What wonderful neighbors and friends. Tevan is doing much better and he finally dozed off to sleep. His little hand is still red and swollen, but as long as he is careful it should be okay. I feel so terrible...but Jon said tonight that we can't keep our kids in a padded room...there is not one kid who hasn't had something happen to them. I just feel bad that I could have prevented it and didn't. I guess I am just so used to doing everything with him in my arms...next time he will just have to wait to be picked up. Poor little fellow...I am so sorry!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment