Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Uncle Kip

Because I want to eventually make my blogs into a book, I want to incorporate some of my family members and what I remember of them for my children and their children. So today's highlight is Uncle Kip.
My Uncle Kip has always had a special place in my heart. When I was little, I remember him coming to my house and making deals with me. One time he even "offered" to pull my tooth. He bribed me by saying he would clean my room if I let him pull it. But, I think the thing I most remember about this uncle of mine is that he always treated me with respect and love. Every time I see Uncle Kip, he pulls me tight and squeezes me until I can't breathe. He has done this since I was very young. I also remember that he came to my baptism. I had invited him and honestly didn't think that he would come. I can still recall the way he smelled when he gave me one of his sqeezes. He gave me a small teddy bear that held a pair of heart socks. I loved that bear...literally to death. I think it fell apart a year or so ago.
Uncle Kip lives across from my Gram Smith. While I was living with her, I made a lot of homemade bread. A couple times he asked me to whip him up a batch of rolls. He ate them up...even if they weren't the best. He made me feel special.
He also makes my children feel special. In fact, Daeson used to call him Papa Tip and ask me if he could call him on the phone. He takes Daeson down to the farm and around on the tractor. He is so good to us. Uncle Kip is a good man, the type that would do anything for anyone. He would help a stranger in need, give the shirt off his back, and never expect anything in return. I think my Uncle is often misunderstood. He truly is an important person in my life as well as in my kids'. We love you Uncle Kip and couldn't be more proud to have you in our lives.

1 comment:

Megan B ♥ said...

I just have to know! Did you take him up on the tooth-pulling offer????? I THINK I WOULD HAVE!! Hmmm.... in fact, if your uncle Kip showed up on my door today with the same offer, I might offer up a permanent tooth to the cause :) Bedroom, maybe not. But kitchen? In a heartbeat!