Tuesday, July 1, 2008

No middle man...

Tonight was one of the greatest nights I have had in a while. I was able to clean the Idaho Falls Temple with some other members of our stake. I was really neat. We scrubbed lockers, dusted furniture and put rooms back together. After we were all done, we got a tour of the temple. We got to go underground and in the work shop areas. I met really nice people and we had some laughs. It was hard work, but the cleaning manager told us before we started that "when ye are in the service of our fellow beings, ye are in the service of our Lord." ( I don't have a ref, but it is from the scriptures.) Then she said, "There is no middle man. You are here serving the Lord Himself. This is His house and you are serving him directly." I thought that was really neat. The time went by really fast. We were there at 6 and finished at 9:30 pm. I had a lot of fun and it was a great opportunity to serve.

It has been a LOOOOOONG time since I have been to the temple and a TON of things have changed. It is so beautiful...not that it wasn't before, it's just all new now. It is so wonderful that we have a house of worship. It is so wonderful that we can serve our Lord in EVERY capacity...one no greater than the other. He doesn't care if we clean the toilets in the church house, or if we are "just a visiting teacher". All of His work is very important. We are so lucky to be able to accept the things He asks of us and it is so great that we can serve Him in so many ways.

Oh, and by the way, I am very supportive of the visiting teaching program. It is sometimes harder to give our time to visit the sisters and really feel their needs than to do other things we are asked. I don't mean to slander the VT program with the afformentioned statement. :) GO VT!!!

2 comments:

Megan B ♥ said...

What a cool experience. I'd like to do that sometime. It never occurred to me that of course that needs to be done sometimes!!

Kayla said...

That IS a good thought - no middle man - takes a moment to let that sink in. Good job serving!!! :)