Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Let the canning begin!

Last week, much to Troy's dismay, I was able to bottle 30 quarts of spaghetti sauce. Yummy! Tory does not like spaghetti, but I now have enough jars to eat one spaghetti meal a month for two and a half years!

Today I was able to bottle 15 half-pints of salsa. I have tried many recipe over the years and I finally found one that Troy loves...SPICY! It is warm! I guess that makes up for the spaghetti sauce! :)

I love that my garden is producing. I finally have peas (which the boys LOVE), I have tomatoes, jalapeƱos, Anaheim peppers, beets, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, onions, and I already harvested my radishes. I love this time of year. I love that my salsa only cost me .48 for the cilantro and 2.50 for extra tomatoes. Everything else came out of the garden. I love it!

I am not bottling peaches or pears for the first time in 10 years, but I still have PLENTY. I am, however, going to bottle chicken soup. I can then use it for noodle soup, chicken and dumplings, or chicken pot pie. Oh the joys of comfort food!! I want to do about 40 jars of this. I am also going to bottle beef stew, mandarin sauce, and chunked chicken. I have a ton of jars to fill, thanks to Gram Tom and Nicole! I am excited to start bottling my homegrown food and to build up my storage even more. I would like to try some new things this year...if anyone has a great recipe or ideas, let me know! As long as it does not contain beans, I am willing to try it! I would love to find a beanless chili recipe. Troy is allergic to beans and lentils of all types and it makes it hard to get a great chili!

2 comments:

Susie said...

Whoo Whoo!! We usually do salsa. I did peaches last year and @ the end swore I would NEVER do another jar of them...crazy though this year I was entertaining the idea of doing a few. I know...someone admit me to the psych ward! This lady can't make up her mind. :0)

Nicole said...

I have everything to can including peaches. I just need to do it. I may be calling you for advice.