Sunday, October 18, 2009

Canning: Done!


I finished late Friday night with the canning. I have one jar that didn't get used. I got 13 quarts of beef stew...I was hoping for 14. But it is all done and I now have to find room in the storage room for it. I am still dehydrating apples and that will be done tomorrow. I have a few apples left. Thanks, Becky for the yummy pineapple juice/lemon juice mixture recipe!!! They are sooo tasty!


I am not sure why I have had such an urgency to get my food storage together, but I am grateful for the urge. I still have milk, rice, pancake mix, and some freeze-dried fruits and veggies to purchase, but I am getting there. I could also use some more canned meats, but that can wait until I find a great deal. Or, if one of my brothers sells me some of their deer they just got!!! :) I am thankful that Troy lets me have my way with food storage. I think he might think I am off my rocker, but he supports me and for that I love him. I know that if and when times get tough, I will be able to provide meals for my family. Not just ramen noodles, but real meals. For years and years we have been admonished to have a food supply and I am grateful for a mom who taught me that. She has been a great example to me. Thanks, Mom!! I love ya bunches!!! Troy didn't want me to post our storage...something about people wanting to rob us...but I am so excited about it. Like I said, it might not be complete yet, but I am working fervently on it!!!

6 comments:

Jaime And Tyrell said...

WOW, I wish I had your food storage or a food storage at all good job atleast your are very prepared and a little relieved that it is done. Atleast the hard part.

K. Lou said...

well, we know where to come in an emergency! JK. we are working on ours, too. Dirk wanted to see the picture of your shelving organization after Grandpa Lish bragged about them. good job on all the hard work! We are almost done with our basement and hope to post pictures of our new food storage room!!!!!!

Janet said...

Wow! You are my hero! I haven't started canning yet. I will have to take classes from you when I start.

Susie said...

What a good--no a GREAT accomplishment!! I am glad you have it. It will be handy!!

Kayla said...

I'm secretly jealous of you . . . :)

Mary said...

you are such an inspiration. Makes me want to start canning myself. Sounds like you have canned a lot of great food. Feel free to share the recipes.