Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Grangeville

We have been up here since Thursday night. And right now, it is SNOWING!!!! Yuck! I cannot remember everything we have done, but today we ventured into "town". We went tot he book store, the drug store and out to eat at the Bistro. The kids are having a good time and they are soooo full of energy. The first couple of nights the boys stayed up until after midnight. I thought I was going to go crazy! But, I am now trying to get them back into mountain time so that we have a smooth transition at home Thursday. We are supposed to come home Thursday, and I hope the weather is good so that we have no problems. Thursday is the only day it is supposed to be nice, so keep your fingers crossed. Gram Tom came with us, so I will not be traveling by myself. It will be nice. Today I had a strange bump on my arm removed, and I was the best patient...hahaha. I HATE needles and my dad said there are probably better two year old patients. The bump is nothing to worry about, just bothersome. And...five stitches later, I am doing well. I can slowly feel the numbing medicine wear off and I might not be so happy in an hour. :)
The people in Grangeville are very nice and very close tothe members in the community. I like it here. I feel like I am at my second home. At church Sunday, I got to go to RS instead of primary. It was a nice little change, but I was so grateful for the lesson. Anne talked about acts of service. Sometimes we do not feel like serving, and sometimes after we serve we are happy inside. If we do service with the right attitude, we will always feel good inside. There is a girl, Cody, who lives up here and Ihave become quite close to. In fact, I got to hold her 7 mo old baby Sunday and he is sooo cute. Quite the smiley baby. She made a comment that I have pondered a lot since then. When Anne asked who had performed an act of service last week, Cody said she did laundry for her family. At first we allkinda snickered, but that really made a profound inpact on me. Are we truly serving our family members? As an LDS mom, I sometimes feel very overwhelmed with the things I am asked or expected to do. I sometimes look at the pile of laundry with a hatred feeling. I sometimes (okay, always. This is the thing I dislike to do the most as a parent.) look at bathing the kids as a huge chore instead of a chance to play with my kids before bed. Do I serve my family with joy? Do I serve my family with a happy heart? Am I one of those who murmurs the entire time I am serving? Do I ever feel that happy feeling while I am doing the numerous batches of never ending laundry? I should feel grateful that we have clothes to wash and dishes to put in the cupboard. I should feel grateful that I can turn the water on, inside the house, have it be HOT and bathe my kids with fun bath toys and TONS of bubbles. I should look at my ovwerwhelming tasks as service. By serving my family, I know that I am serving my Heavenly Father. I know he wants me to be happy, and service is one of the best ways to do that. Thank you, Cody, for your wonderful insight. I am trying to be of cheer when I am serving and I am grateful that my family is so patient with me. I am thankful they do not judge my every move. I am trying to find that joy in serving my family.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Jandy, thanks for the reminder. I have the same problem with tub time and never ending laundry! I really need to have a better attitude sometimes. However, today I got both bathrooms cleaned and I was pretty happy about it. And it felt so good when it was done!! Have a safe trip home.