Friday, February 29, 2008

Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning

I have been cleaning my basement for hours now and I am lost in the mess. Troy is supposed to put trim up in the bedroom today so that I can get that room ready for company. I have already filled the closet with holiday decorations and wrap, blankets, pillows and sheets. I cannot believe how much stuff I have. I have gotten rid of so much, yet there is still a TON left. I am sooo very addicted to FREECYCLE. If I don't want it or need it anymore, I post an ad and by the end of the day everything is gone! I don't have to haul it anywhere and it goes to someone who wants it or needs it. It is out of my house and makes it a lot easier to keep my house clean. I have been trying to evaluate my food storage. I am not sure why I buy some things...I never really use it. I guess I should have been more generous on the food drive days because today I am getting rid of a lot of EXPIRED things. I hate waste. It's good to go through it, but kinda discouraging. I used to be so organized and then I had kids and life got three times busier. Hmph. But they are so worth it to me. The best that ever happened to me...and Troy of course. If anyone has a good organizing system for food storage, I would love to know. I really, really, really want the rotating food storage shelves, but they are so expensive. I already have shelves downstairs so it seems like a waste. I am lost on how to do it...do I put soups together, vegetables and fruits...or do I put tomatoe stuff, meats, soups, rice, cous cous, ect. I just don't know what to do. I have all my canning stuff on a couple of shelves. I think all this organizing makes me anxious for summer and spring. Case lot sales should start in March...but then at the end of summer it's canning season!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!! I really do enjoy it...Kayla if you want to make jam I will help you this year. But for the second time in four summers, we are going to plant a garden. I am praying for a great garden so I can bottle all the YUMMY foods. My friend Barb helped me make salsa and carrots last year...SCRUMPTIOUS! It was so delicious that we only open a jar per month so we can have it through the year. Pears, peaches, strawberry jam, peach jam, tomatoes, salsa, carrots, green beans, beets, and fruit cocktail are just a few that I want to can. I know that is a tall order, but I think I really want to start doing more canning because it is better for my family. I get to regulate the sugar and salt content. I get to peel the fruits and veggies by hand so that I know only fresh ingredients go into my food. I need to look out for my family's health. There is so much junk out there. I have been inspired, I just hope it isn't a phase I'm going through. Well, I know the title of this is cleaning, but if you know me at all, you know that I am scatter brained and I get sidetracked A LOT! Have a great day today...off to make lunch and do some more CLEANING!!!!

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Are you trying to say that you don't want to give me free jam anymore?! HA! J/K! I need to do more canning too - heck not more, I just need to START canning. And your basement looks SPECTACULAR!!!