Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Just and ordinary mom

Last night while we were waiting for Troy to get home, the boys and I spent an hour coloring in various coloring books. Daeson asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I told him I didn't know. He said, "You could be a doctor like your dad, or a nurse like Rachel's mom. That would be a cool job." I told him that doctor school takes too long and I cannot stand the sight of blood so I wouldn't be a very good nurse. Both boys piped up and told me I should be a princess. I informed them that a Princess has a maid and a cook and lives in a beautiful castle. Daeson told me that Troy could do all the cooking and he would clean and then all we would have to do is make our house bigger. I was in a sad mood yesterday...previous blog about hormones...and I told him that I didn't feel like a Princess and that is not the job for me. He said, "So I guess you are just going to be like an ordinary mom."

I didn't know how to take it. I told Troy about this when he got home. An ordinary mom. Am I less cool because I lack a master's degree or because I don't save people's lives? In my kids' eyes am I always going to be an ordinary mom? Is that even a bad thing?

I have thought about it today. I have thought about the times that I could be spending with my kids and I choose to waste my time or get so caught up in keeping house that I don't take the time to be with them. To my boys I am ordinary the way I am now. I don't want to be ordinary...I want to be extraordinary. So I have decided to step it up. I may only have an Associates degree that I cannot do a single thing with, but I can be an amazing mom in my kids eyes if I step it up. Today Tevan and I made homemade marchinio cherry icecream. He was amazed. Then we spent time tossing the balloon back and forth. He helped me with a couple of little chores and then we read books. It was...fun. I loved it and it made me happy. Daeson has been at school and playing with friends so I didn't get to spend one-on0one time with him today. But I will. I want to do this on a daily basis. It didn't take long to spend time with him...just some patience. Maybe today I was not just like an ordinary mom...maybe today I was extraordinary!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are extraordinary! I think Mom's have it hard. If you are anything like me- I just want to be perfect in everything. Perfect Mom, Perfect Wife, Perfect housekeeper, laundrywomen, school helper, tutor, singer, size, etc. It is overwhelming A LOT to be a Mom. BUT I think you ARE EXTRAORDINARY!!

Unknown said...

I think you are Extraordinary Jandy!

I LOVE your thoughts. :) My boys luckily still think I'm cool and aren't embarrassed by me, I hope if I keep trying to step it up, that they will always be proud of me being their MOM, and that it won't matter that I only have an Associates that I can't do anything with either. :)