Friday, March 25, 2011

Parent Teacher Conf and helping out

Tuesday I went to Daeson's class to help. When Jill, the other parent, and I got there we were told there was not a teacher so we would be helping the aide with the class. IT WAS A ZOO! I could not believe how chaotic it was the entire afternoon. We lost two girls...they escaped through the door. I eventually found them with the help of the secretary. I literally dragged them bag to the classroom. One girl, after telling her to stop running more than five times, fell on the cement floor and got one heck of a goose-egg. It was really bad. The mom felt like we should have had a better hold on the class...yeah, like 27 three-four-and-five year-olds is an easy task! Another girl pooped her pants and did not have extras at school. Daeson's class is especially naughty I have decided. They do pretty good when the teacher is there, but when she is gone it goes to pot. Sigh. Needless to say, I put in an application for him for a different school today. It is the school we tried to get into last year but we were number 57 on the wait list. Maybe we will have better luck this year.

After helping in the class, we had parent teacher conference. It was definitely an eye opener for me. I had no idea where Daeson was supposed to be educationally. Boy we have a lot to work on. Because he attends a Montessori and their methods are a bit...liberal...the students are allowed to learn when they are ready and they are able to pick and choose what they want to do on a daily basis. But I feel that because Daeson's class is a bit out of control, he is not being pushed to his limits. In theory the method is wonderful. I really believe in it...when done properly. I have discussed my concerns with Troy and my good friend, Kara, and we have decided to take it upon ourselves to teach Daeson what he needs to know before Kindergarten is out. My friend brought me over her little girl's curriculum and we are going to go off that. So, since Tuesday, Daeson has learned his baby letters a through i. He hates having homework, but we should have been doing this all year. I guess the first child is the experimental one. We are learning with him.

We are all feeling better and I have been able to function full speed. My ears are still clogged and I still cough and blow my nose frequently, but we are doing awesome.

The boys go into surgery Wednesday at 6 a.m. Tevan will have his first, then Daeson. I am having a bit of anxiety over this...but I know they will do fantastic. This little girl better come out healthy as a horse! Tuesday night we will take the kids to let them pick out some movies and treats...Daeson's diet isn't exactly what I would call good...but Popsicles, ice cream, pudding, smoothies and juice sounds great to him. He is really excited. So, instead of a trip to my parents over spring break, we will spend it home, watching movies, playing the Wii, reading books, coloring and sleeping. Sounds fun to me. At least the weather is still yucky so we don't want to be outside! Until then...may each of you be healthy and happy and may the bugs and sickness stay away!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my. That sounds C.R.A.Z.Y.

I wish you the best with the boys' surgeries on Wednesday!